PhD Eng. Agata Hoscilo
PhD Eng. Agata Hoscilo - assistant professor at Remote Sensing Centre IGiK - Head of Remote Sensing of Natural Hazards Laboratory - is experienced in monitoring of land condition, deforestation, forest degradation and environmental changes using various Earth Observation (EO) data. She has a specialist knowledge in temperate/tropical peatland ecology, carbon fluxes and fire ecology and wide experience in studying fire regime dynamics and post-fire vegetation behavior.
She completed an MSc in Geography at the University of Warsaw and Survey Engineering at the Warsaw University of Technology and started her scientific career in the Institute of Geodesy and Cartography, Department of Remote Sensing (where she worked between 1999 and 2005). In 2003, she was a project manager and principle investigator of the project funded by the Polish Committee for Scientific Research (‘Use of EO data to examine fire behavior and vegetation recover in wetland ecosystem in Poland’). In 2005, she joined the Department of Geography at the University of Leicester (UK) as a PhD student. She was specialised in EO methods to investigate and assess fire regimes, vegetation and land cover dynamics and carbon losses from extensive burning in forested tropical peatlands. She also worked as an independent consultant on ecology of peatlands ecosystem performing analysis of deforestation and forest degradation in Sumatra. In 2009, she was awarded with a doctorate degree by the University of Leicester. Between 2009-2011, Dr Hoscilo worked as a research associate in the Department of Geography, University of Leicester on the EU funded Geoland2 project, WP Natural Resource Monitoring in Africa (NARMA). The main aim of this research was to develop a unified environmental indicator of land sensitivity to climate variability and human impacts using mainly medium resolution EO data. In October 2011, she once more joined the Department of Remote Sensing - IGiK. Recent EU research projects include MONINA, RESTORPEAT, GEOLAND2 (NARMA WP) and CARBOAFRICA.
Her research interests are mostly oriented around applications of EO data in investigation of environmental changes in various ecosystems (i.e. deforestation, forest degradation, desertification, loss of biodiversity) due to human impacts and climate variability. She is also interested in exploring dynamic interaction between fire regimes, vegetation responses and carbon cycle in context of climate change and sustainability.
Representative of one of the EIONET National Reference Centers (NRC) for Land Cover
Representative of the Polish Steering Committee COST Action ES1104: Arid Lands Restoration and Combat of Desertification: Setting Up a Drylands and Desert Restoration Hub
Fellow of the Remote Sensing Committee of the Polish Academy of Science
Fellow of the Remote Sensing and Space Committee for Copernicus Earth Observation programme
Fellow of the Research Committee at the Institute of Geodesy and Cartography
ESA SAT4EST (2017-2019) Earth observation based service supporting local administration in non-state forest management
ESA DUE GlobBiomass (2015-2017) - developing a methodology for forest biomass retrieval and preparation of the forest biomass maps for the epochs 2005, 2010 and 2015
RemBioFor (2015-2017)- Remote sensing based assessment of woody biomass and carbon storage in forests. Mapping of actual forest extent in Poland using existing photogrammetric, remote sensing and spatial data sets.
A novel approach to estimate fire intensity and carbon emissions over a decade of fires in Poland (2013-2015) – project funded by the Foundation for Polish Science in the framework of the POMOST programme
IncoNet CA Adapting to climate change: food security in Central Asia. Remote tools for assessing and fighting soil salinity in the Aral Sea Basin
Project coordinator for the CORINE Land Cover 2012 and Verification and Enhancement of High Resolution Layers for Poland, in the framework of the Copernicus Land Monitoring
- Rodríguez-Veiga P., Quegan S., Carreiras J., Persson H.J., Fransson J.E.S., Hoscilo A., Ziolkowski D., Sterenczak K., Lohberger S., Stängel M., Berninger A., Siegert F., Avitabile V., Herold M., Mermoz S., Bouvet A., Le Toan T., Carvalhais N., Santoro M., Cartus O., Rauste Y., Mathieu R., Asner G.P., Thiel C., Pathe C., Schmullius C., Seifert F.M., Tansey K., Balzter H., 2019, Forest biomass retrieval approaches from earth observation in different biomes, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol. 77, pp. 53-68. doi:10.1016/j.jag.2018.12.008 PAPER
- Hoscilo A., Lewandowska, A., Konieczny A., Mroczek, K., Kulik S., 2018, EO based service for forest management [in:] The Ever Growing Use of Copernicus across Europe’s Regions. A selection of 99 user stories by local and regional authorities, European Comission, European Space Agency and NEREUS - the Network of European Regions Using Space Technologies, pp. 88-89. PAPER
- Hościło A., Lewandowska A., 2018, Assessment of forest damage caused by the August 2017 hurricane using Sentiel−2 satellite data, Sylwan, Vol. 162 (8), pp. 619-627. PAPER
- Hoscilo A., Lewandowska A., Ziółkowski D., Stereńczak K., Lisańczuk M., Schmullius C., Pathe C., 2018, Forest Aboveground Biomass Estimation Using a Combination of Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 Data, Proceedings of 2018 IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 22 - 27 July 2018, Valencia, Spain. doi:10.1109/IGARSS.2018.8517965 PAPER
- Hoscilo A., Mironczuk A., 2016, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service as a support for the Environmental Impact Assessment procedures. Rozdział w monografii: GIS i dane przestrzenne w ocenach oddziaływania na środowisko - podręcznik dobrych praktyk, M. Nowak - red. Wydawnictwo Naukowe UAM,2016, ISBN 978-83-232-3128-8.
- Hościło A., Mirończuk A., Lewandowska A., 2016, Determination of the actual forest area in Poland based on the available spatial datasets, Sylwan 160 (8): 627:634. PAPER
- Page S.E., Hoscilo A., 2016, Fire in Borneo Peatlands, Chapter in The Wetland Book, Structure and Function, Management and Methods, pp. 1-7. Springer Netherlands; doi:10.1007/978-94-007-6172-8_11-2. PAPER
- Gutry-Korycka M., Mirończuk, A., Hościło, A., 2015, Chapter 1: Land Cover Change in the Middle River Vistula Catchment, In: Stochastic Flood Forecasting System, GeoPlanet: Earth and Planetary Sciences 2015, pp 3-16.PAPER
- Golenia, M., Zagajewski B., Ochtyra, A. Hościło, A., 2015, Zastosowanie sztucznych sieci neuronowych do aktualizacji map pokrycia terenu Corine/ Semiautomatic land cover mapping according to the 2nd level of the CORINE Land Cover legend, Przegląd Kartograficzny, v47, 2015, no 4, DOI: 10.1515/pcr-2015-001
- Hoscilo A., Balzter H., Bartholomé E., Boschetti M., Brivio P.A., Brink A., Clerici M., Pekel J.F., 2014, A conceptual model for assessing rainfall and vegetation trends in sub-Saharan Africa from satellite data, International Journal of Climatology, DOI: 10.1002/joc.4231.PAPER
- Hoscilo, A., Tansey, K.J. and Page, S.E., 2013, Post-fire vegetation response as a proxy to quantify the magnitude of burn severity in tropical peatland, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34, 2, pp. 412-433.
- Page, S., Rieley, J., Hoscilo, A., Spessa, A. and Weber, U., 2013, Chapter 7: Current fire regimes, impacts and the likely changes - IV: Tropical Southeast Asia. In: Goldammer, J.G. (ed) Vegetation Fires and Global Change. Challenges for Concerted International Action. A White Paper directed to the United Nations and International Organizations. Kessel Publishing House, Remagen-Oberwinter, Germany. pp. 89-99.
- Boschetti, M., Nutini F., Brivio, P.A., Bartholome, E., Stroppiana, D., Hoscilo, A., 2013, Identification of environmental anomaly hot spots in West Africa from time series of NDVI and Rainfall, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34(13): 4769-4790.
- Hoscilo A., Balzter H., Bartholome E., Boschetti M., Brivio P.A., Brink A., Clerici M., Pekel J-F., 2012, A space – based solution for monitoring land conditions in sub-saharan Africa, The Growing Use of GMES across Europe's Regions, European Environment Agency (EEA), 22nd October, 2012, pp. 38-40.
- Hoscilo A., Page S.E., Tansey K.J., Rieley J.O., 2011, Effects of repeated fires on land cover change in peatland in southern Central Kalimantan, Indonesia, from 1973-2005. International Journal on Wildland Fires, 20, 579-588.
- Hoscilo A., Ziolkowski D., Lewandowska A., Sterenczak K., Bochenek Z., Bartold M., 2016, Synergistic use of SAR and optical datasets for forest biomass retrieval and characterization of forests in temperate zone - a national case study Poland., Proceedings of the 7th ForestSAT 2016 Symposium, 14 - 18 November 2016, Santiago, Chile. ABSTRACT - POSTER
- Hoscilo A., Ziolkowski D., Lewandowska A., Sterenczak K., 2016, The first forest biomass map over Poland derived from a synergy of optical and SAR data, 3rd EARSeL Workshop SIG on Forestry, 15-16 September, Krakow. POSTER
- Hoscilo A., Lewandowska A., 2016, Application of remotely sensed data to the management of fire events in Poland, Living Planet Symposium, 9-13 May 2016, Prague. POSTER
- Schmullius C., Thiel C., Pathe C., Matejka E., Quegan S., Carreiras J., Wegmuller U., Santoro M., Wiesmann A., Balzter H., Rodriguez - Veiga P., Tansey K., LeToan T., Mermoz S., Bouvet A., Dabrowska - Zielinska K., Hoscilo A., Ziolkowski D., Siegert F., Englhart S., Fransson H., Persson H., Herold M., Avitabile V., Häme T., Rauste Y., Shvidenko A., Schepaschenko D., Sterenczak K., Eriksson L., Ulander L., Steffen F., Reischstein M., Carvalhais N., Mathieu R., Seifert F., 2016, DUE GlobBiomass - Estimates of Biomass on a Global Scale, Living Planet Symposium, 9-13 May 2016, Prague. POSTER
- Wasniewski A., Hoscilo A., Mouketou-Tarazewicz D., 2016, Analysis of land cover change and deforestation in the province Ngounie (Gabon) during the period 2003-2013, 3rd EARSeL Workshop SIG on Forestry, 15-16 September, Krakow. POSTER
- Ziolkowski D., Hoscilo A., Lewandowska A., Sterenczak K., 2016, The potential of multitemporal and polarimetric features derived from Sentinel-1 data for forest parameters retrieval, Proceedings of the 7th ForestSAT 2016 Symposium, 14 - 18 November 2016, Santiago, Chile.
- Hoscilo A., Turlej K., Napiorkowska M., 2014, Can remotely sensed data be used to support monitoring of fires in Poland?, Proc. 34th EARSeL Symposium, 16-20 June 2014, Warsaw, Poland.
- Hoscilo A., Ciolkosz A., Ziolkowski D., Napiorkowska M., Debowska A., Gruziel M., 2014, GIO Land Monitoring component in Poland, Proceedings of 34th EARSeL Symposium, 16-20 June 2014, Warsaw, Poland.
- Ziolkowski D., Bochenek Z., Hoscilo A. 2013, The relationship between backscattering coefficient and products of interferometric processing of TerraSAR-X stripmap images in forests of different type and ages, 5th TerraSAR-X / 4th TanDEM-X Science Team Meeting, 10-14 June 2013, German Aerospace Center (DLR).
Hoscilo A., Balzter H., Bartholome E., Boschetti M., Brivio P.A., Brink A., Clerici M., Pekel J-F., A space – based solution for monitoring land conditions in sub-saharan Africa, The Growing Use of GMES across Europe's Regions, European Environment Agency (EEA), 22nd October, 2012, pp. 38-40.
- Hoscilo A., Balzter, H., Bartholomé, E., Boschetti, M., Brivio, P.A. and Brink, A., 2011, Changes in vegetation and rainfall patterns in sub-Saharan Africa over the last decade observed by satellites - a national and sub-national synthesis. Proceedings of the IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 25-29 July 2011, Vancouver, Canada, pp.2480-2483. Oral presentation