PhD Jan Musiał
PhD Jan Musiał is focused on application of satellite data in climatological and meteorological studies. His educational background acquired during the Inter-Faculty Studies in Environmental Protection at the Warsaw University is related to utilisation of GIS techniques in topoclimatic analysis. He also received postgraduate diploma in Spatial Information Systems at the Warsaw University of Technology. He obtained his PhD diploma in geography from the Remote Sensing Group of the University of Bern in Switzerland for the thesis entitled: “Probabilistic classification of clouds and snow on satellite imagery”. In 2013 he was granted honorary fellowship at the Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) at the University of Madison for the period of two months.
His professional carrier started at the National Foundation for Environmental Protection, where he was responsible for the GIS data base development for the protected areas in Poland. Further he was employed by the Remote Sensing Department of the Institute of Geodesy and Cartography (IGiK), where he analysed vegetation cover by means of integrated meteorological and satellite data retrieved from MODIS, AVHRR and VEGETATION sensors. Then, he held a trainee position in the Global Environment Monitoring (GEM) Unit of the Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES) at the European Commission Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Ispra, Italy. There, he was analysing FAPAR time series retrieved from MERIS, MISR and SeaWiFS measurements as well as different spatio-temporal techniques to smooth and fill data gaps in these records. After apprenticeship he worked as a PhD student at the University of Bern and currently he is employed in the Remote Sensing Center of the IgiK.
- F Huesler, T Jonas, M Riffler, JP Musial, and S Wunderle. A satellite-based snow cover climatology (1985-2011) for the european alps derived from AVHRR data. The Cryosphere Discussions, 7: 3001–3042, 2013.
- J.P. Musial, M.M. Verstraete, and N. Gobron. Technical note: Comparing the effectiveness of recent algorithms to fill and smooth incomplete and noisy time series. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11(15):7905–7923, 2011.
- F Huesler, F Fontana, C Neuhaus, M Riffler, J.P. Musial, and S Wunderle. Avhrr archive and processing facility at the university of bern: A comprehensive 1-km satellite data set for climate change studies. EARSeL eProceedings, 10(2):83–101, 2011.
- N. Gobron, A. S. Belward, B. Pinty, W. Knorr, M. M. Verstraete, and J.P. Musial. Global changes in biosphere vegetation dynamics using meris data. In Proceeding of the 2010 ESA Living Planet Symposium, 28 June 2010 - 2 July 2010, Bergen, Norway. ESA Special Publication, European Space Agency, 2010.
- J.P. Musial. The methodology of assessment of the environmental conditions in protected areas in Poland based on integrated remote sensing and climatic data. In Archives of Photogrammetry, Cartography and Remote Sensing, volume 20, pages 307–320. Polish Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 2009.