Job offer – NCN SONATA BIS 11 (PhD student scholarship)
The Centre of Geodesy and Geodynamics of the Institute of Geodesy and Cartography (IGiK), Warsaw, Poland, has announced a scholarship competition for a doctoral (PhD) student in the National Science Center (NCN) research project: NCN SONATA BIS 11 entitled: "Assessment of orthometric/normal height changes and their impact on the realization of the International Height Reference Frame (IHRF)”.
Requirements of candidates:
- MSc degree or document confirming the last year of master’s studies or equivalent education qualification in geodesy or a related discipline
- (a) Status of a doctoral (PhD) student studying at Polish doctoral studies, or
(b) Status of a doctoral (PhD) student studying at a Polish doctoral school, or
(c) Becoming a doctoral (PhD) student studying at a Polish doctoral school from 1st of October 2022;
- Strong background in at least one of the following scientific areas: (1) Geodetic height reference systems/frames, (2) Geodetic reference system/frame, (3) Satellite gravimetry (4) Space geodesy (e.g. GNSS, VLBI, SLR, DORIS), (5) Analysis and modelling of the geodynamic processes, or (6) Temporal mass variations within the Earth system;
- Programming skills in a high-level programming language (e.g. Matlab, Python or C++);
- Good command of spoken and written English language;
- Motivation for further learning and expanding competences as well as an ability and willingness to develop new research tasks related to the subject of the project.
The project is aimed at establishing a new research team to conduct basic research associated with the International Height Reference Frame (IHRF). The overarching objective of this project is to comprehensively investigate temporal variations of geoid/quasigeoid heights, temporal variations of ellipsoidal heights and orthometric/normal height changes at the IHRF sites using the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) and GRACE Follow–On (GRACE–FO) satellite missions data as well as GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System), VLBI (Very Long Baseline Interferometry), SLR (Satellite Laser Ranging), DORIS (Doppler Orbitography and Radiopositioning Integrated by Satellite), tide gauges and hydrology data. Furthermore, the project is aimed at the investigation of the impact of those changes on the realization of the IHRF as well as the unification of national levelling networks of contiguous territories.
The main tasks for the PhD student:
- Collect and analyse GRACE/GRACE-FO, GNSS, VLBI, SLR, DORIS, tide gauges and hydrological data at the IHRF sites;
- Contribute with the principal investigator of the project to develop a method for assessing the orthometric/normal height changes and their impact on the realization of the IHRF;
- Contribute to other complementary tasks of the project;
- Contribute to the publications of peer-reviewed articles in reputable scientific journals;
- Develop a scientific project after completing her/his PhD study (optional).
Application deadline: 01/05/2022
Announcement of the competition results: 09/05/2022
Starting date: As soon as possible
Working hours: Full time (40 h/week).
Conditions of employment: A full scholarship for 36 months would be provided to one PhD student for implementing scientific tasks associated with the NCN SONATA BIS 11 project, entitled: "Assessment of orthometric/normal height changes and their impact on the realization of the International Height Reference Frame (IHRF)". The amount of this scholarship is 5000 PLN/month. We kindly ask the applicant to read the NCN's announcement on exemption from income tax from the NCN research scholarship: https://www.ncn.gov.pl/en/aktualnosci/2021-12-30-stypendia-ncn-podatki
The application should contain the following documents/information:
- CV including scientific achievements and practical experience as well as contact information of two references;
- Copy of the MSc diploma or equivalent document or a document confirming the last year of master’s studies;
- Copy of the MSc thesis abstract;
- Letter of intent (maximum 1 page);
Application documents (in pdf format) in English should be sent electronically to the principle investigator of the project dr hab. Walyeldeen Godah, prof. IGiK (e-mail address: email@example.com) and to the IGiK’s secretariat (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Selected candidates will be invited for an on-line interview. The applications will be assessed in accordance with the criteria included in Regulations for awarding NCN scholarships for NCN-funded research projects (Annex to Resolution No 25/2019 of the NCN Council; https://ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/pliki/uchwaly-rady/2019/uchwala25_2019-zal1_ang.pdf).
Please include the following statement in your application: "In accordance with the personal data protection act from 29th August 1997, I hereby agree to process and to store my personal data by the Institution for recruitment purposes".
For further information concerning the project, application procedure, the enrolment in a Polish doctoral school and etc., the applicant is strongly advised to contact the principle investigator of the project dr hab. Walyeldeen Godah, prof. IGiK (e-mail address: email@example.com).
More about the project is in the following link: https://ncn.gov.pl/sites/default/files/listy-rankingowe/2021-06-15poaz12/streszczenia/531440-en.pdf