- Scientific Council
- Scientific Centers
- Support Departments
- Public Procurement
Modelling the carbon balance at wetlands applying Sentinel-1/2/3
Modeling of carbon balance at wetlands applying the newest ESA satellite missions Sentinel-1/2/3
The Project is funded by the National Science Centre, Poland (NCN) via OPUS 12 grant no 2016/23/B/ST10/03155.
Research project objective and methodology
The project objective is elaboration of the methodology for carbon balance modelling based on satellite Sentinel-1/2/3 data and insitu measurements of CO2 by chamber method, Leaf Area Index (LAI) by LI-COR 2200, soil moisture by TDR method (TRIME-FM), PAR (AccuPAR), biomass wet and dry (in the laboratory) surface temperature (IR radiometer, EXOTECH), soil temperature, for Biebrza wetlands under changing moisture, biomass and meteorological conditions.
The newest satellites Sentinel-1/2/3 will be applied for developing the models of soil moisture (Sentinel-1), LAI and biomass (Sentinel-2), and latent heat (LE) from energy budget applying surface temperature calculated from Sentinel-3 data. The soil-vegetation parameters will be obtained from satellite data using statistically derived models between in-situ and satellite data. Derived soil-vegetation parameters applying satellite data will be the input to carbon balance modelling. The carbon balance will be presented as temporal and spatial variation over the Biebrza wetlands. The assessed carbon fluxes and calculated latent heat and sensible heat (H) fluxes using surface temperature derived from Sentinel-3 will be validated applying measurements from the Eddy Covariance station which will be located as IGiK station in Biebrza Middle Basin.
Research project impact
The results will show how the moisture and biomass changes and meteorological conditions influence the carbon balance. It will give the indications for proper renaturalization of the wetland areas. The project is expected to have an important impact on scientific research into the link between remote sensing, plant physiology, agriculture and hydrology. The results will give strong input to the climate models and will give the answer how the biophysical parameters obtained from the newest satellite data has impact on carbon balance. The project will introduce the COPERNICUS climate service on national scale and in the future will integrate the scientific groups playing the role in climate change observations.
- Dąbrowska-Zielińska K., Misiura K., Malińska A., Gurdak R., Grzybowski P., Bartold M., Kluczek M., 2022, Spatiotemporal estimation of gross primary production for terrestrial wetlands using satellite and field data, Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment, Vol. 27, 100786. doi:10.1016/j.rsase.2022.100786 PAPER
- Dąbrowska-Zielińska K., Gurdak R., Misiura K., Grzybowski P., Bartold M., Kluczek M., Malińska A., 2022, Modelling carbon dioxide flux applying in-situ and satellite data at peatland ecosystem, Living Planet Symposium, 23 - 27 May 2022, Bonn, Germany. POSTER
- Grzybowski P., Gurdak R., Bartold M., Kluczek M., 2022, In-situ measurement techniques in remote sensing research over wetlands, Living Planet Symposium, 23 - 27 May 2022, Bonn, Germany. POSTER
- Misiura K., Dabrowska-Zielinska K., Gurdak R., Grzybowski P., Kluczek M., 2021, CO2 Modelling from Eddy Covariance Measurements for Biebrza Wetlands, IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 12 - 16 July 2021, online hosted by the IGARSS 2021 Organizing Committee in Brussels (Belgium).
- Dabrowska-Zielinska K., Misiura K., Gurdak R., Grzybowski P., Bartold M., Budzynska M., Malinska A., Musial J., 2021, Application of Remote Sensing for Hydrology – Case study in Poland, 6th IAHR Europe Congress, 15-18 February 2021, Warsaw.
- Misiura K., Dabrowska-Zielinska K., Musial J., Gurdak R., Grzybowski P., 2021, CO2 measurements over the Biebrza Wetlands using Eddy Covariance and chamber methods, 6th IAHR Europe Congress, 15-18 February 2021, Warsaw.
Dąbrowska-Zielińska K., Misiura K., Gurdak R., Grzybowski P., Bartold M., Łągiewska M., 2020, Water related ecosystem: application Copernicus data examining climate change effect on hydrological regime of wetlands, SPIE Security + Defence Digital Forum, 21-25 September 2020, Edinburgh. POSTER
- Misiura K., Dabrowska-Zielinska K., Malinska A., Musial J., 2019, CO2 Measurements over the Biebrza Wetlands using satellite and field data, Living Planet Symposium, 13-17 May 2019, Milan, Italy.